Thursday, April 25, 2013

Villafranca del Bierzo

It was a relatively flat day of walking out of Ponferrada and into wine country. Unfortunately, I missed my chance again at wine tasting for pilgrims as the vineyard along the Way here that offered tasting and tapas wasn't open.

As I get a closer to Santiago there are more and more pilgrims along the Way. There are some people I recognize by sight as we pass by each other during the day and in many cases have spent a night or two in the same Albergue.

I walked for a while today with a French man who was patient with my French. He and his friends have been coming here for the past six years doing a different segment of the Camino each year. They will finish the Way this year.

The day before yesterday I walked part of the day with a retired Spanish man from Madrid who has walked the Camino each year for the last eleven years. He was also patient with my Spanish!

There are many more people like this I have met. English is also a great language to know as most people speak it. This allows us to share stories with each other about the path and why we are here. Often this is over a meal or a drink. Sometimes we even swap suggestions about what to do about blisters. (Most people have their own methods and share them but mostly stick to their personal remedies no matter what!)

No comments:

Post a Comment